Earth’s changing climate is a fundamental threat to humanity, but it’s not too late if we take collective action NOW! Human imagination and creativity can shape a brighter and more sustainable future. We’re one of the many registered teams in the @XPRIZE Carbon Removal.
I N T R O D U C T I O N :
We are at a major turning point. In order to leave a sustainable and livable planet for upcoming generations, we have to change and make changes. More and more people/countries are addressing the crucial problems on our Earth, one of the largest being carbon emissions. Elon Musk’s call at the beginning of 2021 to identify and launch the most efficient methods to reduce CO2 emission for a reward of 100 million USD, was brought about by this recognition.
We hope there will be technological breakthroughs presenting solutions to extract carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and the oceans. The highest impact will certainly be achieved through global collaborations. This peak of making our planet more livable should be approached from all directions. There are many trodden paths already, some steeper and shorter than others. Everyone has to walk their chosen path, or break a new one…
Industrial hemp is a versatile plant with the ability to heal the Earth by eating CO2, replacing one-time-use plastics with quickly compostable natural alternatives, currently used in automotive, food, medical, industrial, construction, etc. industries. Hempcrete is an admixture of hemp shives, lime and water. The word hempcrete comes from hemp concrete, however, it does not contain concrete. Instead, it is a natural construction material that forms its inner crystal structure by binding CO2, reacting to form concrete-like firmness with excellent properties.
The second aspect of our project is the yurt, a tent-like heritage from our nomad ancestors, currently living its renaissance all around the world. A hempcrete yurt innovates the ancient, according to the demands of the 21st century: excellent insulation, carbon-negative and eco-positive. Circular structures facilitate a community atmosphere and promote collaboration. Our architectural and structural engineering plans allow the same yurt form to be adapted to different kinds of uses from housing to communal spaces for hundreds of people.
S O L E T ' S B U I L D H E M P C R E T E Y U R T S !
Let us create places to strengthen the harmony of our existence. Hempcrete yurts can be family homes or communal spaces symbolizing circles to heal our Planet. If we use industrial hemp in the building industry alone, 200.000 yurts of 11m diameter will eat a Megaton CO2 globally per year. And if we like them, we can transition the construction industry to carbon positive.
O B J E C T I V E S :
1. Build a visitable hempcreteyurt in a natural setting. And share details so others can build their own.
2. Create Hempcreteyurt as a company to build yurts anywhere in the world based on our experience - if you have less time and more money to have yours built.
3. Create an Industrial Hemp Center manufactury to present and together re-learn the ways of processing and utilizing industrial hemp by maintaining workshops and making a variety of products. The Center will feature a Hempcreteyurt, on a piece of land with appropriate dimensions and natural-infrastructural abilities to also grow industrial hemp. Following the initial building (and seed-growing) project we plan to give place to both the traditional and modern ways of processing hemp and manufacturing products.
4. Start Hempcreteyurt School to teach children and others interested to building their own hempcreteyurts. This community will strive to continually develop building and finishing methods and openly share our knowledge. Objectives: as natural and environmentally friendly, as possible. This will be the "camping" from 20 years before...
5. We also nominated Hempcreteyurt in the Elon Musk XPRIZE Carbon Removal competition. Building 200.000 hempcreteyurts per year is nothing on a global scale, but will save a Gigaton of CO2, thus largely contributing to healing our Planet.
M O T I V A T I O N :
As an IT engineer, Istvan surprised everyone at his 10-year high school reunion with a sudden outburst: “In 20 years, I will be leading a camping resort.” Many years have passed since and this vision has become clear and focused when the idea of Hempcreteyurt was born in early 2020. After decades of bustling city life, building a home and living close to nature has become an exemplary promise for his seven-year-old son, to leave a healthier planet behind for their generation. Interestingly, he cannot do this alone. Years of zen practice made Istvan understand that he must create collaboration around this idea to fulfill the vision.
Istvan was first joined by Narcisz, who is totally dedicated to turning objective number 3 reality. You are also warm-heartedly welcome to join, if you like the idea and would like to contribute. Thank you very much!